Great things happen when people connect with a common goal. Back in August, Scott Pleasants with Innovate Lynchburg had a conversation with Karen Jackson, the former Secretary of Technology for the State of Virginia. This conversation centered around the topic of growing and keeping Virginia’s technology talent inside of the state. For some time now, many of our communities have trained up a 21st century workforce. Yet, that workforce has moved on to help other states. As the conversation progressed, Karen and Scott decided that working together could be part of the solution. Both are well connected in the technology space and are working to make Central Virginia “a remote workers paradise.”
With Amazon moving HQ2 to Northern Virginia, along with Microsoft’s JEDI deal with the Department of Defense, there are opportunities that can impact the farthest parts of the state. These are definitely some exciting times for Virginia and we have an opportunity before us.
So, Innovate Lynchburg is proud to announce that it is the first “Grow With Google Partner” in Central Virginia. This program provides our community with digital skills to help them land the jobs they want, to advance their careers and to grow their businesses. Our aim is to help Central Virginia to “Grow and Keep” technology talent by providing free training, tools and expertise. Through this, we are working hard to attract companies to see the Central Virginia area as a place to setup roots.
We believe that technology has the power to unlock new opportunities for growth. When those opportunities are available to everyone, communities across the country can achieve their full potential.
- Small Business Owners can build their online presence and find new customers.
- Job Seekers and Students can learn the skills they need to get the jobs they want in today’s evolving economy.
- Veterans and Military Families can access tools and resources designed to help with the transition to civilian life and to build meaningful careers.
- Educators can learn how to help their students get the skills they need to be prepared for today’s jobs.
- Developers can sharpen their current skills and master new ones.
- Startups can learn how to get their ideas the exposure they need to succeed.
There are more things coming and we are excited to be one of the first to connect our region with a great company like Google.